Re: Misleading statements and the responsibility of Meteorite dealers.

Michael,
	Thanks for your thoughts. I understand your arguments completly,
and would like to discuss the matter a bit further. I am not trying to
push my ideas, as I have expressed them before.
	First, I am aware of supply and demand for anything controls what
price is paid. What I am saying is, how was the demand handled? When the
NASA news broke in August, I understand that many folks wanted a piece of
Mars. But at what price? Why did the suppliers of this material raise it
so much? The possibility of life in a martian meteorite is exciting, but
none offered to collectors has that possibility. So where did the
exorborant prices come from(I don't count Nahkla, or Chassigny, as these
are rare, rare meteorites, and would require a high price)?
	Zagami is not rare. It is exotic, and would also expect some
higher prices. 1500.00 per gram is not what should be paid. I mean in all
fairness, I remember when 100.00/gm was a profit, so where does that leave
the collector? These are questions I have, and they are not derisive, or
angry by no means. I am just trying to put a reason to the prices. I can
still get as much Zagami as I could have before, but at 800-1000/gm?
Can you see my point?
	I also understand the point about researchers. They are not apt
to help folks, as for some reason it infringes upon their person. I can
not make excuses for them. I can say they are only hurting themselves in
the long run, because when nobody knows what they are doing, then support
dwindles. How can you benifit humanity, If humanity has not a clue to
what you are doing for them? It is a point that will never be explained.
	Taking a geology class may not be the best for all people,
because as you said, not everbody possess the same smarts. I do think it
is imparitive to understand what is being delt with when it comes to what
is being sold. I don't think many dealers out there would willingly
misrepresent their product. The more informed you are, the better the
product.
	I still do not understand the Ibitira fuss. It is a rare
meteorite with unique features, what is the problem? As it stands(from
the literature I have read) nobody knows where it came from, and not
much is known about it. It is enigmatic, and will continue to be that way
for some time. I think 200.00-250.00/grm is not too much money, if that
was the problem.
	Allende/Phobos, I will need to get back to you on. I have to get
the articles on the subject from another university, as ours does not
have the journal I need. I will post on the list the information I obtain
when it arrives to me.
	I hope I have not seemed too pushy, as that will get me no where.
I am just trying to make a couple of points, and not try to interfere
with anybody's business'. In any case let me know if I missed something,
left something open ended, or just plain spoke out of turn.

Best wishes,

Frank Stroik

Follow-Ups: References: