NYC Museum of Natural History Collection

My wife and I went to NYC yesterday to tour the museum.  THE primary
objective for me was the meteorite collection.  While the specimens on
display and the collection as a whole are certainly fabulous in their scope,
I was somewhat surprised that their was not more on display.  I guess I
expected to see case after case of specimens lined up for display. Does
anyone know whether or not the entire collection is on display, or just
portions of it?  If it is just a part (or even not), is there a listing of
the museum's COMPLETE meteorite holdings?

Unfortunately, the Willamette meteorite is not accessible during the
renovations being done to the Hayden Planetarium.  This work is scheduled to
continue until the year 2000, and the museum evidently has not arranged to
relocate the meteorite during this period. What a shame!!  I even asked if
there was any way I could be taken into the construction area JUST to take a
picture of it ...."Sorry, no." was the reply.

Also, while examining the Ahnighito "monster", I noticed a rather large
portion of the surface where I will swear that the crystalline structure is
visible on the surface.  This IS NOT a surface that has been cut and/or
etched.  The area in question is 100% natural exterior surface.

It displays an intertwined pattern identical to the Widmanstatten pattern on
an etched piece, and the pattern is (for lack of a better word) in 3-D.  That
is, the elongated 'threads' are rounded, much like a series of toothpicks
arranged to mimic the pattern.  I am 100% sure I saw this....and I spent
almost 10 minutes with my face pressed up against the meteorite looking at
it.  UNFORTUNATELY I did not have my camera with me!!!!

Is this "common"?  Has anyone ever noticed this on any other irons?