Re: Meteorite Weight

SILZAC@aol.com wrote:

> Thank you for the backup!!! :)  --How am I supposed to know what a meteorite
> weighs....--  The reason I asked....  My brother bought an old house, while
> helping him tear down the ceiling,  what I thought was a rock, almost fell on
> my head.  I brought it to a few of the geology teachers at my school.  It is
> very heavy for its size.  They are not sure if it is a meteorite, but believe
> that it is.  It weighs 1 1/2 pounds.  They are taking a trip to the Natural
> History museum in May, and are going to take it with them.....
>
> So...  that's why I asked the "average" weight.  I have no knowledge about
> this stuff.  I'm learning.
>
> Again, Thank you.
>
> Laura
Dear Laura,

I think there is no average weight for a meteorite.  To be true, the
weight of a meteorite varies as was mentioned earlier by Mike.  Just
think, when you look at how many different sizes of regular rocks on
Earth.  That's how varied meteorites are.  They can be small or large or
medium.  One thing I think the experts agree on is that if you have a
rock that is a certain size and a meteorite the same size, the meteorite
will be significantly heavier.  Anyway, I do not propose to be an expert
as I am also learning.  Peace.

Larry