Re: African falls

Dear Jeff,
	They seem plenty different to me.
	 (I hope your comment about their having been witnessed falls  in NE
Africa is not as racist as it sounds. "Vaguely?")
	Hamada du Draa fell in January & El Hammami in August.
	A friend of mine packed El Hammami out of the El Hammami Mountain range
on cammels. I can't vouch for Hamada Du Draa, but my impression is it is
at least several hundreds of miles removed - but even if it is only a
hundred, in that part of the world, a hundred miles is a very long way.
	The El Hammami I have looks PERFECTLY freash - the Hamada du Draa looks
slightly weathered, and they have differences in appearance of their
matrix in general.
Jeff Grossman wrote:

> If anybody has pieces of, or has seen, both Hamada du Draa
> (a.k.a. Mhamid) and El Hammami, I'd like your input on this:
> could they be the same meteorite?  These share many characteristics in the reports I have on them:
>
> 1) Both are vaguely "witnessed" falls in NE Africa (Algeria, 1995, and Mauritania, 1997, respectively).  Both were collected by locals
> (nomads) a few days after they fell..
>
> 2) Both are H5 chondrites, shock stage S2.  Olivine comp is similar..
> They were analyzed by UCLA and Munster (Rubin and Weber)..
>
> 3) Both have fine metal veining..
>
> 4) Both are huge (over 200 kg)..
>
> What do you dealers and collectors think?
>
> -Jeff

Follow-Ups: References: