RE: Orgueil:Is it really from Mars?

	The hypothesis that CI chondrites originated on Mars is an
intriguing one. Is it possible that Orgueil is sediment from an
early Martian lake? I think before I talk about this, I should talk a
little about sediments, and Isotopic data.
	Sedimentary rocks are rocks that originated in water, or by the
evaporation of water. There are three main types of sedimentary
rocks,Carbonates(limestone), sandstone, and shales(there are others, but
these are a broad catagory). All sedimentary rocks form from particles
suspended in water that settle to the bottom of the water body.
Limestones however percipitate out of water, when calcium, carbon, and
oxygen reach a point where the water can no longer support the elements
in solution.
	Now, when these sediments settle to the bottom of a water body,
they layer. If you look at a shale, you will see fine layers, these
indicate a period of deposition, and how much sediment was deposited at
that time. Remember this, because it will be more relevent later.
	Oxygen isotopes are used to correlate different meteorites to
Earth rocks. These help us to distinguish between meteorite groups, and
relate them to the Earth. The Earth has a certain 18oxygen to 17oxygen
ratio. This ratio never changes, and is considered a standard. It plots a
straight line on a graph, and meteorites fall somewhere near that line,
depending on their composition. This aids in identifying different
groups, and relationships in those groups.
	Okay, get on with Orgueil already! Well, according to this
hypothesis, Orgueil(CI's in general) formed as deposited sediments in a
Martian lake. The evidence is this, if you plot an 17 oxygen/18 oxygen
isotope ratio line for Mars, the main isotope composition of minerals,
and organic matter in CI's, fall almost directly on this line. In addition
water extracted by heating of SNC's, and Orgueil contain the same
Deuterium/Hydrogen ratio(deuterium is a H gas molecule wuth one extra H).
ALH84001 is different, but that is due to it's great age(remember this
also..).
	How did the material come together? In the article it is said
that after Mars formed, a period of intense meteoritic bombardment
occured. The material that landed was then weathered and transported to a
lake, and deposited on the bottom. The author uses the mineral serpentine,
and smectite clays to justufy this assumption. Serpentine is a mineral
that contains water in it's atomic structure, and smectitie clays are
highly water altered igneous minerals. He uses this because the
Lafayette SNC metorite contains these same minerals.
	Can Orgueil be from Mars? I don't think so. Lets look at the
evidence. If Orgueil was sediment from a lake, we would expect to see
layering in the rock. I know of no report that has shown layering, or
evidence of a sedimentary deposition in Orgueil. Here on Earth, every
sedimentary rock has layering. For instance, The Green River Formation in
Wyoming contains thinly layered shales. If you look at a piece of it you
may count 50 layers, while holding it in your hand, but make a thin
section out of it, and you could count 500-1000 individual layers. So if
Orgueil was truly sedimentary, a thin section anaylisis would have shown,
at the very least, some fine layering.
	Next the Isotopic data are extremely close to that of what you
find on Earth. If I plot the Earth istotope abundance line, Orgueil would
plot almost directly on it. Does this mean that Orgueil came from Earth?
No, what it means is that Orgueil encompasses a primitive abundance of
elements of
all planetary bodies in the Solar System. That is why it is used to
compare igneous rocks on Earth, and see how much reprocessing has occured
on the Earth, and other Solar system bodies.
	Orgueil has an age of 4.6 billon yrs. AlH84001 has an age of 4.3
billon(?)yrs. When the Deterium/Hydrogen data were presented, he said
Orgueil was the same as all other SNC's except for ALH84001, due to it's
age. You see, This anaylisis shows what the atmoshpere was like when the
water precipitated on the planet. Now If Orgueil, and ALH84001 are almost
the same age, why would these values be different? That needs to be
explained more.
 	Serpentine, and Smectite are formed by water percolating through
a rock of igneous origin. They form veins in the rock as the do Orgueil.
I know of no occurance of these minerals in sedimentary rocks(as being
formed by sedimentary processes). These minerals tell us that at some
point in a rocks existence, wether here on Earth, or a meteorite, a small
amount of water traveled through small cracks, altering the minerals
already found on the matrix.
	Finally, How did it get ejected from Mars? There is no explanation
for this. CI's are crumbly, and easily broken, how could this material
survive an impact? I don't know, and The author does'nt know either.
	So, There is the evidence for and against the hypothesis that
Orgueil is from Mars. If Mr. Brandenberg can resolve these problems in
the theory,it would be quite a profound implication for life on Mars. It
would show us that Mars was wetter, and warmer than previuosly thought,
allowing the evolution of organic material into life. Until then, I will
let the scientific method decide on how I view this hypothesis.

Frank Stroik

Reference: Mars as the Parent Body of CI carbonaceous chondrite
           Brandenberg John E.
           Geophysical Research Letters Vol23, No.9
           May 1, 1996