PLEASE READ -- State of the List!

Greetings all Fellow Meteorite Lovers!

As the List Administrator I wanted to make a few points pertaining to some
of the posts that have been appearing on the list lately.

**But first of all I do want to commend everyone for the general progress
and use of the list, it is always full of interesting and thought
**provoking posts!

Here are a couple of reminders on list etiquette for some of the newcomers
as well as the 'old-timers'...

-- The main purpose of this list...

The main purpose of the list is to provide a 'real-time' forum for
educational discourse regarding meteorites.
Questions/ideas/discussions/theories regarding finds, meteorite & space
news, collections, etc... all fall into this category.

Although meteorite & related sales, etc... would seem to fit in; they
really don't fulfill the list's main purpose as subject of on-going
threads. So advertising one's meteor-related product (whatever it may be)
really should not be the basis of a list thread. That type of topic can be
posted once but all responses should be directed to the original sender,
rather than the entire list. This keeps the list traffic low and directs
mail to only the people that really need to see it.

-- One other reminder is quite similar to the above...

If you receive a post from the list that actually only requires a single
reply to the original sender (i.e. a post like: "I'm starting a Robert Haag
Fan club, does anyone want to join?"). A reply to that type of post should
be sent directly to the original sender, and not to the entire list.

Remember ---- by default, when you press reply to a list post, the list
address automatically is placed in the "To:" field of your response email.
For personal posts (as mentioned above) you'll need to remember to change
the "To" address to the respective individual's email.

Again, these are minor points --- and the list has been running great so
far (I'm on quite a few lists that are always a mess!).

Following these general policies will help everyone by keeping overall Net
bandwidth down,  allowing for an efficient List Archive, and cutting out
what many list members may consider spam/junk mail.

Thanks A Bunch!

Regards, Art