Re: A comment about the meteorite trade.

To All,

In regards to buying, trading specimens. If individuals see that specimens they
have in their collections are offered to museums, research facilities and so
on, should it not be the other way around where if I don't have a piece in my
collection that the museum that has a piece offer a sample up to me??

I don't advocate being dishonest and would never do anything dishonest but here
is my opinion of at least part of the problem these days. Someone is out on
public ground and spots a meteorite. He/or she knows if they turn it in that it
will be taken from them. So they can do one of two things leave it lay as it
won't benefit them or claim they found it somewhere else so they can buy it and
sell it. The system we now have in place encourages dishonesty.

If the BLM would offer up a part of the specimen to reward the individual for
bring it to light, I think more specimens might be come available to the states
and the federal government. Although it is their land (its really all of ours
and they better not forget it) when you reward someone for bringing in
specimens I feel more would come to light.

I would like to see better cooperation among collectors and institutions but as
long as there is greed and arrogance on either side it makes for every man for
themselves type attitude.

I agree that there are many good dealers out there bring specimens to light so
that museums and institutions have these pieces available. I know that most
dealers offer this material up to these very places first before selling to
private collectors. Its unfortunate that those places don't always take
advantage of the offers.

--AL Mitterling