Mars Pathfinder Color Images

At the 6:30PM press conference, the first color Mars Pathfinder images were
shown.  Awesome!  They all focused mainly on the rover, but with
Mars clearly in the background showing the horizon.  These images will
no doubt appear on the news tonight and in tomorrow's newspapers.

There is a slight
problem with deploying
the rover because both the front and rear ramps are partially blocked
by the air bags.  The air bag near the front ramp is higher than it should
be, and it could possibly be sitting on a rock.  The air bag near
the rear ramp didn't retract at all, reasons unknown.  Perhaps it had
snagged on a rock.  The plan is to raise the petal near the rear ramp
up 45 degrees, turn on the wench to retract the air bag underneath the
petal, and then lower the petal back down.  The rover probably won't
be deployed today, but will be commanded to stand up to its full height.

I've noticed two black-n-white images have appeared on the Mars Pathfinder
home page, and I'm sure the color images will appear there soon.

Ron Baalke