Mars Pathfinder Update - July 21, 1997

PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICE
JET PROPULSION LABORATORY
CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION
PASADENA, CALIF. 91109. TELEPHONE (818) 354-5011
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov

               Mars Pathfinder Mission Status
                      July 21, 1997
               10 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time

     The Mars Pathfinder flight team successfully reestablished
contact with the Pathfinder lander and rover early this morning,
completing several communications sessions using both the low-
gain and high-gain antennas.

     "What a difference a day makes," said Brian Muirhead,
Pathfinder project manager. "The project team has successfully
regained full communication capability on both the low-gain and
high-gain antennas. The team is extremely pleased with our
current status."

     Most of the communications problem experienced over the
weekend was associated with ground operations, not with the
spacecraft on Mars, Muirhead said. "We'll be working to eliminate
the cause of these problems in the coming days, as we return to a
more normal mode of operations."

     The flight team successfully initiated its first low-gain
communications session of the Martian day at 10:38 p.m. Pacific
Daylight Time on July 20, then began a second low-gain session at
1:36 a.m. July 21. Both sessions were returning data at the low
data rate of 40 bits per second. At 3:22 a.m. PDT, the team
conducted a third, brief low-gain session at a slightly higher
data rate of 150 bits per second.

     "All sessions worked perfectly, and we gained all of the
basic engineering and telemetry data that had been stored
onboard," Muirhead reported. "We verified that all spacecraft
subsystems were healthy."

     At 4:50 a.m. PDT, the team conducted a brief high-gain
antenna session to make sure the high-gain antenna was pointed at
Earth. A full high-gain antenna session at 8,200 bits per second
was later performed beginning at 6:43 a.m. PDT.  The team
acquired all data on lander and rover health and completed
acquisition of all of the spacecraft engineering data. They also
sent a software update to correct sequences onboard the flight
computer which have caused it to automatically reset itself.

     Tonight's science activities will include downlinking
measurements of a white-colored rock named Scooby Doo and
continuing to acquire data from a full resolution color panoramic
photograph of the landing site.

     On this Martian day, Sol 17, Earth rose over the newly named
Sagan Memorial Station at 8:07 p.m. PDT yesterday July 20.
Sunrise was at 11:15 p.m. July 20 and Earth set occurred this
morning at 9:45 a.m. July 21.

     An audio update on Pathfinder's status can be heard by
calling 1-800-391-6654.

                           #####