Re: question

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, hummer marchand wrote:

> Question,
> is the presence of vesicles in a sample of material conclusive evidence of
> non-meteoric origin?  I have been told that only very tiny vesicles have
> occured in one or two meteorites.
> Thanks,  Hummer Marchand

	The presence of vesicles in a rock does not preclude a meteoritc
origin. The Ibitira eucrite, and Mt. Tazerzait chondrite contain
vesicles. The Mt. Tazerzait, however may not be vesicles, as it is hard
to produce vesicles in the current model of chondrite formation.(not
impossible, just difficult).
	Vesicles are defined as an area affected by the release of gas
from a molten(igneous) rock. This means basicly that, gas bubbles formed
and then burst leaving a hollow pocket behind. Their size is based upon
the viscosity of the material in which the bubble formed.
	Asteroidal vulcanism would probobly be apt to produce only small
vesicles due to a lack of liquid water in a asteroid's magma system.
Perhaps volitile gas would increase the size in locally affected areas.
Also the length of cooling would have some affect on the vesicle size, as
the temperature of space is almost absolute zero, there by promoting an
almost instantaneous cooling of the magma. It should be said, that
vesicles are formed from only molten material extruded on the surface of
a planetary body.( Perhaps an instance of subsurface vesicles are known,
but not to my knowledge).
	 If vesicles are present, I would be wary. If they are
4mm and larger, it may not be a meteorite. The smaller the vesicles the
more chance of being a meteorite. This is due to the fact, as stated above,
that liquid water is present in all magmas on Earth, but not as much on
asteroids.
	So, yes, vesicles can be present in a meteorite, however they
would tend to be tiny. Their size is a function of viscosity, and depth
of formation in a flowing magma. Since there is less water, and colder
temperature of interplanetary space, the magma would be more viscous,
promoting smaller vesicles.

I hope this answers your question.

Frank Stroik