Re: Please comment

rusamex@cris.com wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I am not scientist - just a regular citizen with some common sense
>
> Please comment on the following:
>
> Recent Life on Mars frenzy mostly based on the assumption that there
> are 12 Martian Meteorites
>       /H. P. McSween Jr., Meteoritics 29, 757 (1994). Analyses of the
> gases in glassy inclusions in the
>       SNC meteorites EET79001 by Bogard and Johnson [Science 221, 651
> (1983)], Becker and Pepin
>       [Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 69, 225 (1983)], and Marti et al.
> [Science 267, 1981 (1995)] have shown
>       that the abundance and isotopic compositions of the trapped gases
> in the SNC meteorites and the
>       measured atmospheric compositions on Mars, measured in situ by the
> Viking landers, have a direct
>       one-to-one correlation (more than nine orders of magnitude in
> concentrations). This remarkable
>       agreement is one of the strongest arguments that the SNC
> meteorites represent samples from Mars/
>
> Leaving apart /by my opinion not substantiated/ conclusion of Life
> Traces I am absolutely disagree with alleged Mars origin of these
> meteorites.

Makes total sense to me. This is how we determine the origin of most
terrestrial rocks as well!! (i.e. volanics!)

>         Some common sense arguments:
> 1.      For MILLIONS years BILLIONS of meteorites traveling near Earth orbit

Not sure what this has to do with anything. Please expound.

> 2.      Planet Mars is a very, very, very, very small part of possible
> originations of these Meteorites

Which parent body do you suggest? Do you have any data we do not?

> 3.      Scientists made probe of atmospheric composition on Mars one time.
> There are lot of probes which WERE NOT  made (on THOUSANDS of possible
> origination places during MILLIONS of years)

You are correct. Point being the gases trapped within the SNC's DO MATCH
the SAMPLED martian atmosphere!

> BECAUSE OF CORRELATION OF ANALYSES OF THE CONTEMPORARY SAMPLE IN ONE
> PLACE ON MARS TO THE 12 MILLIONS YEARS OLD SAMPLE ATMOSPHERIC
> COMPOSITION - THESE METEORITES CALLED MARTIAN

Actually this is OK. Earth's atmosphere hasn't really changed in the
last 12 M.a either! Samples of earth gases found 10 M.A, trapped in
crystal inclusions, does match the current atmosphereic composition.

> It is just shameful speculations filled with scientific terminology.
> Unfortunately it is a natural human tendency - when people does not have
> real objective reliable and complete statistic data they attend to
> speculate on the basis of what they have, to declare a discovery

It si secualtion based on REAL data collected in the lab and on MARS! It
will not be FACT until we return MANY samples from Mars (someday!)

> I will really appreciate if you could find a minute to send me your
> comments and in case if you are disagree with me please tell me the
> names of the scientists who also does not believe that this mail has a
> readable return address.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Sincerely,
>
> Alexander Sheftman, New York
>
> P.S. I think that many scientists just afraid to to tell the true
> loudly...

That is BS!! If you are going to make such bold statements, please back
them up with some sort of basis.
Regards,
--
Matt Morgan