Re: Meteorite Display/Care - Repost for Walter Branch

Walt writes:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I have a question to pose to everyone.  I am new to meteorites but certainly
>not new to collecting things.  I only have a few specimens but I am beginning
>to wonder about how people go about displaying meteorites.
>
>I would like to know how others display (or not) your collections.  Do you
>simply put them on shelves or inside wood and glass display cabinets?  Has
>anyone matted and framed a particularly nice slice?  Do you use wooden or
>acrylic stands such as plate collectors use?  Do you keep them in climate
>controlled "vaults" or special rooms (a serious question!)?  Do you keep them
>in boxes and bring them out only on  occasion?  How do you care for friable
>or otherwise "soft" specimens?  Are they in a disk drawer?  Do you  display
>information cards or other "write-ups" with your specimens?

clip..

Hi Walt,

I have been collecting meteorites for about 3 years.  This spawned from my
mineral collecting.
I find that by using "Riker" style boxes I can keep my collection clean and
dust free, a real problem in Southern California.   The glass top allows me
to examine them without the need to touch the specimen.
In addition I can display the information card below the specimen.
I also enjoy  the micros or TN's and use small clear plastic boxes to store
them in.

In California we only have the smog and heat, we don't have the humidity
problems that can create problems elsewhere in the country.  So I have not
invested in other "special rooms".
 I guess if I ever buy a 10K specimen it will have to go live in  a vault
in the bank.

Happy meteorite collecting.

Larry Davison

Larry Davison