Planetfest '97

The Planetary Society is having a major event called Planetfest '97
during the 4th of July weekend (July 3-6) which will be held in the
Pasadena Convention Center.  This coincides with the landing
of the Mars Pathfinder spacecraft on Mars on July 4, and live coverage
of the landing will be provided on a huge TV screen in the exhibit hall.
This includes the broadcast of the first images returned from Mars
Pathfinder from the Martian surface.

For more details, see the following URL:

http://planetary.org/hot-top-planetfest.html

There will be one meteorite dealer present at the event, but it hasn't been
confirmed which one.  A piece of the ALH84001 meteorite will be on
display.  Dave McKay will also be giving a talk on Life on Mars scheduled
on July 5.  I'll also have my Mars meterorites on display (Chassigny,
Shergotty, Zagami & Nakhla).  These are the same SNC's I had on display
at the JPL Open House.

There will be numerous talks given throughout the 3 days from notable
people such as astronauts, science fiction writers,  and
NASA/JPL project people, just to mention a few.  JPL will be well
represented by the Cassini, Mars, Galileo, Stardust and Pluto Express
flight projects.

Note that Planetfest '97 is not free!  Tickets will cost from $20 to $30,
depending on how may days you go.  If you volunteer 8 hours of your time
to the event, you will receive free tickets to the event: two adults 3-day
passes and two children 3-day passes. I just talked to the Planetary Society
folks today, and they are still looking for volunteers.  If you would like
to volunteer, contact Elise at either 805-269-5664 or 818-793-5100.

Ron Baalke