No Subject

>	Also The Mars moon Phobos, and Allende connection is wrong. It seems
>that remote sensing data indicate a correlation, but nothing definative.
>By virtue of oxygen isotopes, Allende had to form at the outer edge of
>the asteroid belt, at the very least. The researcher needs to explain how
>an asteroid can migrate through the belt, and stop in a parking orbit
>around Mars. Until this acheived, it is speculation at most, and to
>relay that to the public is not correct information.

Some months ago, I've also seen a dealer selling Allende and claiming
Phobos was its parent body.  When I asked him the source of this information,
he told me that someone had told him that, though he wouldn't say who.
I've asked him to provide me additional details, which
he said he would, but to date, he has not done so.  It turns out this same
dealer also was making very questionable claims on another meteorite, most of
them obviously erroneous.  Again I questioned him on the source of his
information, such as a research paper or a name of someone doing the
study of the meteorite, and again he came back with the vague answer
that someone had told him, and wouldn't say who.  In other words, he was
making claims that he could not backup, and cranking up the prices of his
meteorites based on these claims.  This is apparently the mode of operation
of this particular meteorite dealer.  Fortunately, this is an isolated
case, and I've encountered no other meteorite dealer who sells meteorites
in this fashion.

>Dealers need to tone down the glitter, and stick to the science.
>Science gave them their business, and they now tend to pervert the truth.
>I am not implying that all dealers are doing this on purpose, I am saying
>that most do not, so it seems, want to investigate a meteorite to the
>point of understanding.

I agree with you completely.  I've dealt with over 100 meteorite dealers.
I've found that an overwhelming majority of them to be very honest and
reasonable people.
Some dealers have made honest mistakes, which I
found was mainly due to ignorance.  For example, one dealer was selling
tektites as meteorites.  However, they were quick to correct their errors
once it was pointed out to them.
In my experience, I have encountered only one meteorite dealer
whom I would consider dishonest, and I obviously don't deal with him
anymore.

>	This however is not the fault of the dealer, as science
>does little to help explain  what is exactly being stated in the
>research, and literature. How can those not schooled in petrology, and
>geochemistry understand what truly is happening?
>	I offer the following suggestion: Take a class in physical
>geology. These can be taken at night, at most community colleges, and
>could even be taken pass/fail so that those who do not have time to do
>home work can still learn something. Understanding what is being bought
>and sold in this market is an imperative. To understand minerals, and
>rocks should be a requirement to deal in meteorites, as that is what they
>are made of.

I don't think it is necessary to require all meteorites dealers to
take a geology course.  However, if they are smart, they should realize
that they should learn all they can about meteorites.

>	I cannot, however, expect people to listen to me, as perhaps they
>were already turned off by the above statements. I do not hold any one
>person to blame, as I cannot make such a judgement. I can say that what I
>see is alot of times just, frankly, not true. All I can really say is
>this: Dealers should keep abreast of the meteorites they deal, and make an
>effort to portray only true, and accurate information. Speculation has no
>place in science, and it should have no place in collecting of
>meteorites.

I agree with you.
Speculation in itself is not necessarily bad as long
as it is presented as such, and has some scientific research to back it up.
Speculation mixed with half truths that is made-up is what I think
you are really referring to.
If a dealer make claims that he cannot backup, then
that should immediately raise a red flag and you should be suspicious.
If a dealer knowingly and purposely continues to make false claims, then
he should be avoided at all costs.

>	I am aware that I may have hurt some feelings, and created a
>disdain for my name, but what is right, is right. My intention is not to
>point fingers, or push blame on a single dealer, or dealers. I see things
>that are not right, and should be corrected.

I agree. I'm quick to point out to a dealer if they have wrong information
and in 99% of the cases, they are quick to corrrect their errors.
If their prices are high, I simply go elsewhere.

>	I now, as I always have, offer my assistance to anyone wanting
>to know more about meteorites. All I need is to be asked, and I will be
>glad to help those interested anyway I can.

Your contributions to this list have no equal, Frank.

Ron Baalke