Re: Lawsonite

Diederik Visser wrote:

> At 19:18 3-05-97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hello,
> > Does anybody know what lawsonite is,I have been told it
> >is an achondritic stony. A liquid mineral.
> >
> >Thank You
> >Tim Heitz
> >
> Dear Tim,
>
> Lawsonite is a colourless, white to bluish mineral with the formula
> CaAl2Si2O7(OH)2.H2O. Lawsonite is restricted to low-temperature metamorphic
> mineral assemblages. Most commonly it is found in glaucophane-bearing schists.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers, Diederik Visser
>
> email: dvisser@worldaccess.nl

Perhaps it's presumptuous of me, but Tim may be referring to Lawrencite,
as in meteorite cancer.  Although it's been recently dismissed as a real
mechanism, water from the atmosphere or weathering reacts with
"lawrencite" and causes the the meteorite to form a disgusting thick
viscuous greenish brown weepage, most prominently from triolite deposits
as ferric choride, hydrochloric acid, and ferric hydroxide disintegrates
the matrix of irons, iron silicates, or some pallasites.  Regarding
pallasites, the more triolite-infested pallasites seem the most
susceptible....  A liquid mineral??  Achondrite??  I guess so!

Joseph