Re: Enstatite Chondrites, and the formation of the Earth.

fes@UWYO.EDU wrote:

>         I have been reading some articles that argue that the Earth was
> formed by the accretion of E-chondrite material. The material in question
> is high iron e-chondrites(EH), and how their stable isotopes,and
> elemental compositions, relate to the upper mantle of Earth. I should
> note, this is only a argument, and not a fact etched in stone.

These sound like articles many of us would love to read. Could you
identify them for us? Most papers I've read place the formation of
E-chondrite material at or within the orbit or Mercury based on low
oxygen levels and theories of early solar nebula composition. It's
always possible the material could have migrated outwards later, of
course.

>         Here though, is what I do know, and it is quite profound if it is
> true. The Earth, according to this model, formed in two phases, one of
> uptake, and then release. This means the early Earth, formed by uptaking
> silica from melting material. This silica was then released as liquid
> metallic material sank to the core of the Earth. This would explain the
> differences in elemental compositions seen today in the crust of the Earth,
> and the core. Pretty neat I think!

Frank, could you expand this thought for me? To my thick brain this
sounds like a basic planetary differentiation model and I must be
missing something in how this relates to the E-chondrite theory. My
chemistry is probable weaker than yours.

Thanks!

Gene Roberts