Re: hunting

Arizona wrote:

> Have any of you list folks ever found meteorites in locations
> which were not known fall areas?  If so, could you tell me about
> it?  Thank you,
>                 Ed
>                 mcmeans@primenet.com
Dear Ed,
	Few people I have ever heard of have found meteorites in unknown
"strewn fields." Nininger once wrote about finding ONE once & only once.
However, I have heard of accidental finds - Ocatilla (Iron) was found by
a metal detectorist in the desert - I talked with him at length & he
said it was OVER 10 FEET DEEP! Also, the "Goddes Stone" (highly oriented
- resembles a breast) that Bob Haag bought was found by a "desert rat"
in a dump in the desert! Several stones were found in the desert by a
french group recently - I believe this was a little explored part of the
Sahara that really LOOKS like Lawrence of Arabia type desert - so stones
stand out nicely (if not covered by the sand) - great contrast, that -
in vast sand areas with NO native rocks - also understand falls which
occur on top of a light snow of only an inch or 2 are extremetly easy to
find, as they contrast so nicely.
	If you are doing random searching in AZ, you might want to combine gold
nugget metel detecting with it - I know one person who reportedly finds
enough gold to actually make it worth while AND has found one meteorite,
as well. As long as you are doing it in the COOL months, it should be
fun, anyway. One GREAT find could pay for many seasons of searching, but
don't forget to enjoy the journey.  KEEP US ALL INFORMED & BEST OF LUCK!