Request for Reviews

	Hi folks,

The American Meteor Society (AMS) has recently released a Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) document about Fireballs and Meteorite dropping Fireballs.

I would greatly appreciate it if some of you could review the document and
offer me your comments, suggestions, or changes.  I would like for this
document to be as educational and accurate as possible.  Any suggested
changes would also need to include a reference as well.

As a general rule, we usually only deal with things while they are still in
the air, and leave it to the meteoritics folks once things are on the
ground.  However, there is some necessary overlap between the two fields,
and we do get asked many questions about meteorites.

The FAQ is about 15 printed pages long, so I am not sending it to the
entire list.  If you would like to review it, please send me a request and
i will E-mail a copy to you.  The question list for the FAQ is included
below so you will have an idea of the topics covered:

The American Meteor Society, Ltd.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
About Fireballs and Meteorite Dropping Fireballs

Question List:

1.  What is a fireball?  What is the difference between a fireball
and a bolide?

2.  How frequently do fireballs occur?

3.  Can you see fireballs in daylight, and will a fireball leave a
trail?

4.  I saw a very bright meteor.  Did anyone else see it, and to
whom should I report it?

5.  Can a fireball create a sound?  Will the sound occur right
away, as you watch the fireball, or is their some delay?

6.  How bright does a meteor have to be before there is a chance of
it reaching the ground as a meteorite?

7.  Can a meteorite dropping fireball be observed all the way to
impact with the ground?

8.  Are meteorites "glowing" hot when they reach the ground?

9.  How frequently do meteorite falls occur?

10. How big are most meteorites?  Do they fall as single objects or
clusters of objects?
11. How fast are meteorites traveling when they reach the ground?

12. How can I recognize a meteorite, and where should I hunt for
them?

13. Where can I get a potential meteorite authenticated?

14. What do fireballs and meteorites tell us about their origins?

15.  Author's note on fireball / meteorite statistics.

Thank you for your time,

     Jim

James Richardson
Graceville, Florida
richardson@digitalexp.com

Operations Manager / Radiometeor Project Coordinator
American Meteor Society (AMS)
http://www.serve.com/meteors