Mars Pathfinder Update #2 - October 7, 1997

MARS PATHFINDER MISSION STATUS
7 October 1997, 4:00 p.m. PDT

We received very good news this morning; we received a
signal from the primary transmitter. For several days we
have been trying the auxiliary transmitter with no
success. However, this morning using the deep space
network station in Madrid Spain, we received a signal
for 15 minutes. This is exactly what we expected to see.
Preliminary indications are that we have succeeded
transitioning to a NO-BAT (no battery) mode of operation
in which we rely solely upon the solar arrays for power.
Tomorrow we expect to receive more engineering data
which will help us assess the problems we have had over
the last week and a half. From this data we hope to be
able to understand the current state of the lander,
battery, and rover.

For further information on the Mars Pathfinder Mission,
please call our Mission Status Report line at
1-800-391-6654.