Re: New Locations> Serguei,> I have to agree with Walt on this idea; I would rather have new material> distibuted with a tentative classification than wait for it to be sold> out to institutions first. However, I do believe the Labenne EH3> location should be described by this late date. (Only my opinion.)> DavidDavid Weir wrote:> > Serguei,> I have to agree with Walt on this idea; I would rather have new material> distibuted with a tentative classification than wait for it to be sold> out to institutions first. However, I do believe the Labenne EH3> location should be described by this late date. (Only my opinion.)> David

David Weir wrote:
> Serguei,
> I have to agree with Walt on this idea; I would rather have new material
> distibuted with a tentative classification than wait for it to be sold
> out to institutions first. However, I do believe the Labenne EH3
> location should be described by this late date. (Only my opinion.)
> David
To all,
	I think there is something here that needs to be considered. While I
have never had great success searching even well known strewn fields
(only one Correo, 11.18g, after 56 hours of intensive searching over a
10 day period) I do have an appreciation of some of the effort that goes
into recovery.
	So, I invite you all to consider Luc Labenne's circumstances. He first
pays for transportation to the nearest reasonable location to the part
of the Sahara he is going to search. (some big bucks, right there,
especially if there is an entire crew involved) Then, he has to hire AT
LEAST one guide and 2 specialty vehickles - one does NOT drive around
the sahara in ANYTHING but a specially designed vehicle WITH AT LEAST
one additional specially designed vehicle, in case the first one breaks
down - death would be the only possible outcome, otherwise. Then, of
course, there are the food and water supplies. Then, out into an area
that is unimaginably hot, and possibly, cold at night, but which almost
invariably involves sand storms beyond most people's ability to imagine.
In the course of days/weeks, whatever, the crew begins to find a variety
of meteorites, most of which are rather common, but 2 or 3 of which are
E chondrites - highly desirable, rare - and expensive. One almost
assuredly has a Global Positioning device of some sort (which also costs
$) so one can return to the same location at a future date, when,
hopefully, sand has shifted to uncover more of the E chondrites.
	(I, for one, was MORE than happy to pay his EXTREMELY LOW PRICE - what,
started out at $25g - now it's $30 or $35/g? About
1/3rd its actual value - I consider his price a GIFT. He has given both
to the scientific community AND to the collecting community!)
	Now, y'all are saying you think he should broadcast to the world this
EXACT location???? So - now, you, or I or any of numerous dealers or
collectors can follow HIS breadcrumbs? So someone else can just go and
gather up the "cream of the crop?" Go right to the locations HE found
through hard work, tremendous expense of time, energy and LOTS of money
- and literally risked his LIFE to find. You gotta be kidding.....aren't
you?
	Tell me you're kidding....
	Michael