Re: El Paso Meteorite- More News

Very bad news, folks - 6 O'clock news on one of the major networks
announced the Army was being sent in to search for any "debris" of the
El Passo meteorite! This is has VERY ominous implications. All we need
is government involvement in meteorite "recovery" and we are one step
closser to a Canadian or So. African "property of the government"
mentality.
	The recent outrage over the So. American Farrell affair will certainly
be viewed by short sighted scientists as proof they neet to  be
concerned that scientifically valuable material will "disappear" when
"amatures" are allowed to collect and deal in meteoritic material. We
must continue in the long held tradition of institutional supply first
and formost in our ethics as responsible meteorite enthusiasts. The fact
is, meteorite dealers have ALWAYS been a major source of SUPPLY to
institutions (and vice/versa).
	I would love to hear one or more of the members of this newsletter
decended on the area of this fall and recovered multiple specimens. In
the event this does happen, just remember, it is an OBLIGATION to make a
portion of the material available to the scientific community - even if
only one specimen is recovered. (It is also customary to receive,
usually in trade, compensation from same institutions. However, the
UCLA/Wasson "bounty" placed on a sample will be MORE than adiquate if
statistics hold true and the meteorite is a "common" chondrite).
	Best wishes, & HAPPY HUNTING!
	Michael