Mars Pathfinder Update #2 - October 16, 1997

MARS PATHFINDER MISSION STATUS
16 October 1997, 4:00 p.m. PDT

After making some changes in our commanding strategy
yesterday, commands were sent to the Sagan Memorial
station which should have resulted in a signal from the
spacecraft's low gain antenna being received on Earth.
The signal was expect at 1:15 this afternoon, but was
not seen. The spacecraft was then commanded to send two
additional signals to Earth today using both its
primary and auxiliary transmitters, but neither signal
was received. The last verified signal we received from
Pathfinder was nine days ago on Sol 93. Tomorrow's
plans include the anticipated use of the 70 meter
station at Goldstone California. Sol 103 will mark the
first use of our new temperature models for both
commanding the spacecraft and receiving a signal from
the spacecraft over its auxiliary transmitter.

The spacecraft team remains optimistic that the Sagan
memorial station is good health and that our current
difficulties can be traced to lower than normal
operating temperatures.

For further information on the Mars Pathfinder Mission,
please call our Mission Status Report line at
1-800-391-6654.