Mars Pathfinder Update - October 17, 1997

MARS PATHFINDER MISSION STATUS
17 October 1997, 4:00 p.m. PDT

Today we attempted to make contact with Pathfinder
using the 70 meter station in Goldstone California. We
commanded the spacecraft to turn on the auxiliary
transmitter, but unfortunately we did not see any
downlink signal.

Due to commitments to the Galileo mission we moved our
operations to the 34 meter antenna and commanded the
spacecraft to turn on the SSPA transmitter. The SSPA is
a backup transmitter in addition to our primary and
auxiliary transmitters. Unfortunately, we did not
receive any signal during this second attempt.

We will continue with our efforts to reestablish
contact with Pathfinder and will promptly post any
favorable developments.

For further information on the Mars Pathfinder Mission,
please call our Mission Status Report line at
1-800-391-6654.