Re: Armored Chondrules?

Stop Light Pollution! wrote:

>    While putting a high polish recently on a slice of Clovis #1, which is
> an ordinary H3 chondrite, I looked at it with my Spenser stereoscopic micro-
> scope at 10x and saw what appeared to be armored chondrules. I had to get the
> phase angle right to see them, but it looked like most, if not all, of the
> chondrules has a shell of metal (Nickle-Iron) surrounding each chondrule. Is
> this interpretation correct, and if so why didn't I notice it in other meteor-
> ite slices I have looked at with the same scope?
>
> GWG
Hello George:
I noticed the armored chondrules on my Clovis H3 as well (which is off
the piece yours came from).  I also have a slice of El Djouf 001 (CR2)
which exhibits the same characteristic rimming. So yes, I believe your
interpretation is correct. Armored chondrules are not rare by any means,
they are just neat to look at under the scope! Look at pieces like
Bluff(b), Felt(b), and Densmore, you will see the same thing.

Best Wishes,

Matt Morgan
Mile High Meteorites
http://www.mhmeteorites.com