Re: Wasteful NASA Martian Programs and "Martian" Meteorites

I found this page attacking NASA very interesting, but I am not surprised.

Over the past 5 years I have spent thousands of hours in the field talking
with normal people about meteorites.  My focus has been on recovering new
specimens, but small talk would gravitate to common ground.  The common
ground after last August has been with the news reports of NASA's
"discovery."

The problem as most people see it is when it seemed that 100% of all
scientists came out in 100% agreement that they had definately found evidince
of life on Mars in the meteorite!  And it is our duty to get men up on Mars
real fast so we can empose some new EPA laws to protect that endangered
species!  I know that is not what has been said, or even what has been
reported, but that is what people HEAR.

I think the author of the site brings up some good questions, that ought to
be addressed.  I personally have a few questions that have been brought up by
his site:

Which scientists think that the SNCs are NOT from Mars?
Where can they be found on the internet?

Which scientists think that the "fossils" are NOT fossils?
Where can they be found on the internet?

What percentage of NASA scientists think we should NOT go to Mars?
Where can their veiws be found on the internet?

Who out there has an unbiased opinion about the matter?
Where can they be found on the internet?

If the Manned Mission to Mars was NOT funded  by Congress, how many
rocket-scientists would be unemployed?

Who would want to hire unemployed  X-rocket scientists, if NASA laid them all
off?

Let's face it: we are in a time of fiscal cut backs.  If NASA, wants to
continue to get funding, there needs to be a better job of PR done to
convince the American public that they are indeed getting their moneys worth.

I understand that the NASA budget is such a small fraction of the U.S.
Budget, and to either double the funds or even cut them in half, no one would
really feel the difference (except the rocket scientists, of course.)
 Personally I would like to see things move forward at NASA, but....I am
finding it very hard to justify that and explain it all to the "normal
people" who ask me questions.

I am interested in any other feed back from the list on this topic, other
than the typical name calling that is generally generated from such
questions.

Thanks,
Steve Arnold
meteoritebroker.com