Re: Fireball El Paso map repost

Several people have asked for a repost of the map I posted last week.  Here
it is.

Victor D. Noto wrote:

> Hi Jim:
>
> I would love to see that map of the El Paso bolide impact area you were
> talking to George of Meteorite Central about.
> Also the links you used to the getting to the information from USGS. How
> did you go about going from the DOD long-lat information to an actual map
> of the impact area?  This is a find job of investigation.
>
> Victor Noto
> Kissimmee, FL
>
> Victor Noto - vnn2@phoenixat.com
> http://www.phoenixat.com/~vnn2/BIGROCK.htm
>
> "Life really is a Rock and
> the Big Rock giveth and taketh away all life!!"

  Victor and Mark,
    Here is the map.  The Link is
http://mapping.usgs.gov/www/gnis/gnisform.html although the parent link,
mapping.usgs.gov is a very nice page worth checking out.

I simply queried the database for "El Paso" and state "TX" and then clicked
on "Show Feature Location" after the results were displayed.  This gave me a
map of the area with Lat and Long and I zoomed out until the appropriate area
was visible.  I then copied the image to disk and used Paint Shop Pro to add
a circle intersecting the coordinates given in the DoD report.

Jim