A few questions about searching known meteorite sites.

Hi, I have subscribed to this list for some time and found it to be a great
resource. I have been interested in meteorites for a few years and want to
try my luck in looking for them. I know it's not an going to be an easy
task. I have a few questions, The British catalog of meteorites, 1985 which
I was fortunate to view at the Chicago field museum library has been a
great wealth of knowledge, and has given me descriptions and locations of
meteorites in my home state (Wisconsin), but are there resources that would
provide me with a more exact location? what percentages of falls are of
more than one piece, or are part of a strewn field?
Has any one used a magnetometer instead of a metal detector? I am currently
building one to use because it should be more sensitive and cover more
ground. Lastly are there any other tips anyone can give me? Thanks for your
time.   John Kalina