Re: A few questions about searching known meteorite sites.

At 10:52 PM 10/30/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi, I have subscribed to this list for some time and found it to be a great
>resource. I have been interested in meteorites for a few years and want to
>try my luck in looking for them. I know it's not an going to be an easy
>task. I have a few questions, The British catalog of meteorites, 1985 which
>I was fortunate to view at the Chicago field museum library has been a
>great wealth of knowledge, and has given me descriptions and locations of
>meteorites in my home state (Wisconsin), but are there resources that would
>provide me with a more exact location? what percentages of falls are of
>more than one piece, or are part of a strewn field?
>Has any one used a magnetometer instead of a metal detector? I am currently
>building one to use because it should be more sensitive and cover more
>ground. Lastly are there any other tips anyone can give me? Thanks for your
>time.   John Kalina

John,

Here are the Wisconsin (and nearby) meteorite data that I have.

NAME             CLASS       County/State     YEAR      (kg) Pieces  Lat
  Long
Algoma           Ung. Iron   Kewaunee/WI   Found 1887    4.10  1   44°39'N
 87°28'W
Angelica         IIIAB Iron  Shawano/WI    Found 1916   14.80  1   44°15'N
 88°15'W
Belmont          H6          Lafayette/WI  Found 1958   25.30  1   42°44'N
 90°21'W
Calumet County   terrestrial Calumet/WI    Found 1934              44°N
 88°15'W
Colby (Wisc)     L6          Clark/WI      Fell  1917  104.00  2   44°54'N
 90°17'W
Hammond          Ung. Iron   St. Croix/WI  Found 1884   24.00  1   44°55'N
 92°26'W
Iron River       IVA Iron    Iron/MI       Found 1889    1.42  1
46°4'46"N 88°33'35"W
Kilbourn         H5          Columbia/WI   Fell  1911    0.77  1   43°35'N
 89°36'W
Marengo          L6          McHenry/IL    Found 1991    0.07  1
42°17'28"N88°37'32"W
Mt Morris (Wisc) IAB-an Iron Waushara/WI   Found 1937    0.68  3   44°N
 89°15'W
Oshkosh          H           Winnebago/WI  Found 1961    0.14 ~12
44°4'37"N 88°33'46"W
Pine River       IAB-an Iron Waushara/WI   Found 1894    3.60  1   44°13'N
 89°6'W
Trenton          IIIAB Iron  Washington/WI Found 1858  505.00  13  43°22'N
 88°8'W
Vernon County    H6          Vernon/WI     Fell  1865    1.50  2   43°30'N
 91°10'W
Woodbine         IAB Iron    Jo Davies/IL  Found 1953   48.20  1
42°20'48"N90°10'3"W
Zenda            IAB Iron    Walworth/WI   Found 1955    3.70  1
42°30'48"N88°29'22"W

These data come from the MetBase program by Joern Koblitz
(jkoblitz@physik.uni-bremen.de).  Attached is a map showing
the locations.  Note that one (Calumet County) is not
a real meteorite.  To get the most exact locations, you will have to
follow up the initial publications or news reports on each meteorite, many
of which are listed in the BM catalogue or in MetBase.  Many museum
collections and private dealers also keep records on their acquisitions,
especially if they were the first or only collection to get a new
meteorite.  So, if you really need to know precisely where a meteorite
was found, you need to do research.

Hope this helps you.

jeff grossman

wiscmets.gif