Re: The Real Stars

Rick Kujawa wrote:

> Well I just don't consider a math error to be much science fiction.
> True, the K-T was a much bigger event, but I was going for what people
> can see and relate to.

If you like looking at big craters in the ground, who am I to dispute

Jumping the gun on the asteroid proximity estimate wasn't a math error
someone made, but instead a calculation using limited data followed by a
rushed announcement that allowed a foolish estimated chance of setting a
date for termination of global civilization.  That’s not a Grand
Guignol, but it is science fiction worthy of the Golden Age of scifi
pulps... and perhaps comedy as well had it not been seriously challenged
for a few more years.

Follow-Ups: References: