Re: worked meteorite knives from Java

Dear Ed & List Members,
	Yes, I am very familiar with these Javanese dagers. I have several. The
info I have on them is they are made of a combination of meteoritic iron
and volcanic iron - are considered highly magical (if a "witch doctor"
even pointed one at you, it was supposed to make you die - this probably
comes from ancient times - all a "witch doctor" had to do was bearly
scratch some one - the iron is so rust prone, the person would die of
tetnus in a short time - this MAY have resulted in the people's beliefe
becomming so deep that the mere pointing would result in death, much the
same way many voodoo practicioners die if one of the priests tells
him/her s/he is going to  - but, it at least worked if ANY blood was
drawn.)
	Also, SOME of the Krisses (there are a variety of spellings  - and not
just by me) have been made from lance points with a wooden handle (haft)
built for them. They traditionally have wooden handles AND scabards
individually made for them. The forging of the metel was also a
"magical" process, involving only select individuals, ritual, etc.
	Though the blades are hundreds of years old, the haft and scabbards are
almost always less than 50 years old, due to their being made of wood.
In addition, the best scabbards and handles are NOT nessesarily on/with
the most impressive blades.
	I am exceptionally fortunate to have one that has a splended handle and
scabbard AND has a 12 curve "surpentine" blade. I have been limited to
specimens for my own collection, as I tried selling them long ago, but
never got even one single INQUIRY, let alone sale. Weird.
	Best wishes, Michael

Follow-Ups: References: