NEWS FROM ENGLAND

Hello to all list members from sunny England (at least it's sunny for this
particular moment),

I'm on an extended visit here, hence the new email address. Two items that I
came across:

1. From this morning's (Monday, April 6) "Independent" daily newspaper.

"ROCK SOLID  A lump of rock five inches wide, with an asking price of 12, 000
pounds [approx $20, 100] is nothing to be sniffed at. But that is the
catalogue estimate for a piece of meteorite which goes on sale at Christie's
auctioneers in London on Wednesday. The rock, which hit the west of France in
1803, was found by the French astronomer Jean-Baptiste Biot. He gave the
segment to Robert Ferguson, a geologist, who also happened to be MP [Member of
Parliament] for Kirkaldy."

I will try to go to the viewing tomorrow, and post more information. I imagine
that this is a specimen of L'Aigle (1803)?

2. On a lighter note, a film directed by Alberto Sciamma, and called "Killer
Tongue" has just opened in the U.K. Here is a capsule review, also from the
"Independent" (April 4):

"Self-styled cult movie about a woman whose tongue develops homicidal
tendencies after portions of a meteorite find their way into her dinner."

Maybe she ordered an Aigle salad sandwich?

And if you think the write-up sounds bad, you should see the poster! Please DO
NOT expect me to provide my own review of this film.

Cheers,

Geoff Notkin
ammonite@aol.com
geoking@intercall.com