Study Trip

Hello List,

You won’t hear from me from Monday 20th till Saturday 25th (good news,
some may think). I will be on a study trip to Normandy with some of my
senior students. We will visit places steeped in history like the Bayeux
Tapestry, an embroidered strip of linen, about 210 feet long,
commemorating the events that led to the Norman Conquest of England in
1066. Most of you will know at least one famous scene - some Anglo-Saxon
soldiers pointing towards Comet Halley which must have been an
impressive sight and while it was indeed a good omen for William [the
Conqueror], it was a bad one for Harold.

We will also visit the beaches where the Allied Forces landed on June
6th 1944, go to War Memorial Museums, and time permitting to La Cambe, a
WWII German cemetary.

We’ll also try to go to the famous Mont-St-Michel monastery erected on a
150 meter-high granite cone (no shatter cone, of course). This place is
said to cast a magic spell on visitors: Maybe I’ll come back and collect
Celtic fairy tales instead of meteorites; so beware lest I address you
with ‘Hello, you Knights of the Round Table’.

And now listen: I will be no farther away from famous L’AIGLE than 60-70
miles. Maybe I can make it there and go meteorite hunting for a couple
of hours. You all remember Bob Haag’s words that usually some pieces
were missed in the previous searches. I’m sure it is not too hard to
miss some stones when there were 2000-3000 stones that hailed down on
that place back in 1803. Well, 195 years is a huge time span for a stony
meteorite in a humid surrounding but, however weathered these stones
might be, I think I would still recognize them as meteoritic if I saw
one. Who knows ...

Best wishes to all of you,

Bernd