Meteor Observations April 21/22 ZAYGE

April 21/22, 1998

Last night was the peak night for the Lyrids. I had the company of Joseph
Assmus for most of the night. It was another very clear night to record
meteors. The LM was near 6.0 all night. I record meteor data for an
approximate 6 hours. For the first 2.75 hours I plotted everything. Then
activity seemed to be high enough for me to abandon plotting and resort to the
Counting method of just recording the data without any plotting. For the night
I recorded a total of 72 meteors. 42  were Lyrids, 1 SAG, 1 ETA, and 28
sporadics. Compared to last night, activity would be just about the same if it
weren't for the Lyrids. The brightest was a -3 Lyrid. Activity was moving
quite smoothly until around 2:30 am when there seemed to be a small drop in
lyrid activity. I'll have to look at my results  when I do my report next week
to see if there was anything genuine to an apparent drop. Last night was my
3rd night to this observing run. I think the sky will be nice again
tonight...but I'm finished.  I'm afraid my wife might get a little irritated
if I go out again this week.  Don't want to push my luck for future nights....
George Zay