Unidentified subject!

Dear Louis and list,
You did a great job of describing the place we are at today with tektites.
No mechanism for their formation in an impact event in the size and shapes
they are found. And direct evidence in the form of microtektites like in
the Haiti material that the size tektites impacts will produce is very
tiny. I would only add that we have been told that since the astronauts
returned no volcanically produced tektites or tektite glass that there are
none on the moon.  Where are the impact produced tektites that should have
been returned from the moon a heavily cratered body. The glass beads in the
lunar soils are volcanic the impact theorists says, but the moon is
volcanically dead they also say. Are the beads billions of years old from
the time of the sea formation or like the Haiti glass beads are they the
impact tektites. As Louis has also stated and as I have said in the past
physics dictates that the size of tektites will be very small if they are
made in a high velocity turbulent stream at very high temperature.
I was looking only last night at my 600 gram perfect Phillipinite sphere
and again wondered how it could be produced in the chaos of an impact
event.
If  chemical etching is the reason for the texturing of tektites than there
should not be the characteristic baldspot on indochinites, or the smooth
flange and ablation surfaces but rough posterior button on australites. All
the surfaces have been exposed to that chemical solution for the same
length of time. It is clear there is some etching because freshly broken
tektites which expose bubbles will show the bubbles to be very shiny.
(their original fire polish).
On another occasion let's talk about the micrometeorite impact pits being
found in increasing numbers on both micro and macrotektites.
Lack of evidence does not mean non-existence when it comes to life on Mars,
but not finding tektites at six places they were not expected to be found,
did seem to mean non existence for them on the moon.

Jim Tobin
The Meteorite Exchange
www.meteorite.com
P.O.7000-455, Redondo Beach, CA 90277 USA