Re: The 1998 Perseid Meteor Shower

Ron Baalke schrieb:

>   ... the action of the Perseid meteor shower is caused by a comet, in
> this case periodic comet Swift-Tuttle. Fortunately there's no danger
> of  Swift-Tuttle hitting the Earth. It's about 6 miles wide and a
> collision would be catastrophic.

Hello Ron, hello List!

Remember the Sky & Tel cover story back in January, 1993, pp. 16-19?

COMET SWIFT-TUTTLE: DOES IT THREATEN EARTH?
by Brian G. Marsden.

"August 14, 2126. The end of the world?  According to our current
knowledge, there is a small but not negligible chance that Comet
Swift-Tuttle, the "mother of all Perseid meteors", will on that day come
scudding into Earth. Depending on the size and density of the comet's
nucleus, which we do not know, such an encounter would certainly have
severe local consequences and could conceivably precipitate the end of
human civilization through ' nuclear winter ' scenarios".

Best wishes and good night everybody,

Bernd