New Information From SOHO Increases Chances For Recovery

Don Savage
Headquarters, Washington, DC                August  11, 1998
(Phone:  202/358-1727)

William Steigerwald
Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD
(Phone:  301/286-5017)

Franco Bonacina
European Space Agency Headquarters, Paris, France
(Phone:  33-1-5369-7713)

RELEASE:  98-149

NEW INFORMATION FROM SOHO INCREASES CHANCES FOR RECOVERY

       The dormant Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO)
spacecraft has sent temperature and electrical data to ground
controllers, information which could help in the satellite's
recovery. The SOHO Recovery Team is working to recharge the
spacecraft's batteries, which in turn will allow the team to
assess the spacecraft's overall health and condition of the
scientific instruments.

     The SOHO data was received Aug. 8, six days after the
spacecraft's first signal since the end of June, at NASA's
Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD.

       "This is the best news I've heard since we lost
contact with SOHO," said Roger Bonnet, Director of Science
for the European Space Agency (ESA), NASA's partner in the
mission.  "I never gave up hope of some recovery of this
fantastic mission.  We should just hope that the damage
sustained by SOHO's enforced period of deep freeze does not
affect the scientific payload too much."

       Following analysis of the expected onboard conditions
by engineers from ESA and Matra Marconi Space, the
spacecraft's builders, commands were sent through the NASA
Deep Space Network station at Goldstone, CA.  These sequences
were designed to divert the available solar array power into
a partial charging of one of the onboard batteries.

       After 10 hours of charging, the telemetry was
commanded on and seven full sets of data about the onboard
status were received, including information on temperatures
and voltages for payload instruments.  After one minute,
ground controllers switched off the telemetry to preserve
onboard resources.

     Because of the spacecraft's orientation, some
temperatures are colder than normal, and some are hotter than
normal, as expected. The instruments' condition will not be
known with certainty until attempts are made to activate them
at the end of the recovery sequence.  The hydrazine fuel is
likely to be partially frozen.

     Data on voltages and currents in individual units
indicated one of the two batteries on board the spacecraft is
almost fully charged. Attempts to recharge the second battery
are underway.

     With the battery-charging technique proven successful,
the team has requested a full 24-hour coverage of SOHO to
attempt a more complete charging.  The Deep Space Network has
accepted this request on an emergency basis and will give it
priority over other scheduled network activities.

     "I am truly satisfied with the information the data we
acquired gives us," said ESA's Francis Vanderbussche, who is
in charge of the SOHO Recovery Team at Goddard. "Conditions
onboard are as good as we expected them to be."

     The team is working on the next series of procedures,
which will try to thaw the onboard hydrazine fuel, currently
at zero degrees Celsius. Thawing the fuel will allow
controllers to re-establish control of the spacecraft.  The
thawing will be attempted later this week after both
batteries are fully charged.

      The delicate recovery activities are being directed by
the ESA SOHO project team from the NASA Operation Center at Goddard.

       SOHO completed its nominal two year mission in April
1998.  The spacecraft has already achieved spectacular
results concerning the dynamics of the solar interior and has
given a comprehensive view of the solar corona.  Its mission
had recently been extended to 2003 to cover the upcoming
period of maximum solar activity expected to peak in 2001.

       More information on SOHO, including mission status
reports, is available on the Internet at the new ESA science
website at:

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/
or at:
http://sci.esa.int