AD: Monahans Fragments Up for Auction

Hello List,

After the Monahans auction a few weeks ago, word got out that (according to my
contract with the sellers) I was able to obtain a few grams of the meteorite.
Quite a few people have contacted me stating that if I would want to sell or
trade some, to be sure and contact them first.

People asked me what I thought they were worth, and I said "I have no idea."
I expected that they were worth more than the $21/g the 1kg+ mass brought, but
I didn't know if they were worth $50/g?  $100/g?  $200/g?  $1,000g?  Or what?
I was really more afraid of selling some to a friend for too much than I was
afraid of selling it too cheap.  But if I had sold it "too cheap," then I
would hate for someone to be mad at me and say "Gee Steve, I would have paid
you triple what you sold it for!!!!!"

So after several weeks of consideration, I have decided to auction 3 of the 4
small fragments, that I have, that have at least one purple crystals on them.
They are 1.1g, 1.9g and 2.6g.  NaturalHistoryAuction.com has agreed to offer
them in their auction this weekend.  Since the purchaser of the 1kg+ specimen
has indicated that he is not interested in ever selling or trading part or all
of his rock, this may be most people's only chance to acquire a piece of this
beautiful meteorite including the scientifically significant purple halite and
sylvite crystals.

If anyone has any questions about this situation, I would greatly appreciate
it if you would email me privately BEFORE you decide to make any comments to
the list publicly.  There have be quite a few people that expressed a strong
opinion that the Monahans issues remain off the public list, so I am sure they
would appreciate your cooperation.

If you have any questions about the auction itself, you can reach the director
of the auction from the link provided at their website at:
naturalhistoryauction.com

Thank You,
Steve Arnold
www.meteoritebroker.com