Greenland Meteorite

    Reuters is reporting that the Danish Greenlan Meteorite expedition
has ended without their finding any fragments from the fall last December.
However, they returned with over 200 dust samples.  The scientists estimate
that the meteoroid hit Earth's atmosphere at over 35 miles per second, 50
percent fster that the speed of any known meteorite.  This led them to speculate

that the meteorite originated outside our solar system.

    I find this pretty thin evidence, as I believe several meteor showers
have meteor speeds estimated well in excess of 35 miles per second,
but I could be wrong.  They plan on analyzing the age of the dust particles
to see if they are older than the solar system.  Because of its speed, they
speculate the meteorite disintegrated upon entry and any large pieces
may never be found.

    Of course, this is only speculation on their part, since they have yet to
positively identify the dust as meteoritic in origin. A ststus page can be found

at     http://www.astro.ku.dk/tycho/tbe98/english/status/

Mike
--
"The avalanche has already started.
     It is too late for the pebbles to vote."  Ambassador Kosh (Ver 1.0)

Mike DiMuzio    mdimuzio@cisnet.com