Re: (Fwd) maps of Georgia tektite finds

O.G. Marti, Jr. schrieb:

> Hello. I'm new to the list. I'm interested in searching for Georgia
> tektites. I live about 50 miles from the area where most of the finds
> have been reported (Dodge and Bleckley counties). I'd like to know
> whether there are maps showing specifically where tektites have been
> found. Also, any suggestions on search techniques will be appreciated.

Hello List, hello Dick,

The following excerpt from an article in Meteoritics 31-4, Suppl. 1996,
July contains some interesting addresses that Dick may contact as well.
I've left out some very specific and technical passages:

GEOCHEMISTRY OF GEORGIA TEKTITES: EVIDENCE FOR A COMPOSITIONALLY DIVERSE
SOURCE.
E.F. Albin1,2, M.D. Norman3, and M.F. Roden2
1Department of Space Sciences, Fernbank Science Center, Atlanta GA
30307, USA
2Department of Geology, The University of Georgia, Athens GA 30602-2501,
USA
3GEMOC, School of Earth Sciences, Macquarie University, North Ryde, NSW
2109, Australia.

Georgia tektites (georgiaites) occur in east-central Georgia (USA) and
are one of the regional groups that define the North American tektite
strewn field. Recently, it has been suggested that North American
tektites were produced by the impact responsible for the Chesapeake Bay
Crater in southeastern Virginia [1-3]. In this investigation we utilize
the major- and trace-element geochemistry of georgiaites in an effort to
understand the nature of the preimpact target material. Twenty-four
splash form georgiaites from Bleckley, Dodge, and Laurens counties were
analyzed by electron microprobe for major elements and by laser
microprobe- ICPMS for trace elements ...

Major-element relations for the North American tektites suggests at
least three compositional endmembers were involved in the target
material. One endmember had high SiO2 and low total Fe-Mg-Al; this end
member is expressed best in georgiaites and a small group of samples
from Barbados. Another end member with relatively high MgO contents and
high Mg/Fe ratios is required by the composition of DSDP Site 612
microtektites, and a third end member is indicated by bediasite
compositions characterized by relatively high Al2O3 and MgO contents and
Mg/Fe ratios less than those of the DSDP Site 612 samples. How these end
members relate to the rock types present in the target material of the
Chesapeake Bay Crater remains to be determined.