Re: What about radiation

Martin Horejsi wrote:

> draco@bios.iuf.net wrote:
>
> "As far as I know all meteorites should have high level of radiation due to
> the influence of UV, x-rays and other Solar and cosmic rays? Somebody knows
> anything about it? Maybe all found meteorites are the sources of different
> diseases such as cancer?"
>
> For some reason, probably stemming from comic books and cartoons, many
> people believe meteorites are or should be radioactive. Fortunately,
> meteorites are not radioactive at all.
>
> Although meteorites have been exposed to cosmic radiation, they do not
> contain materials which emit any radioactive particles. Also, "UV, x-rays
> and other Solar and cosmic rays" may have been formed through processes
> founded in radioactive decay, but they in themselves are not the same type
> of radiation, and although dangerous to humans, they are just high energy
> electromagnetic waves.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Martin
>
> .

Actually, this is not entirely correct.  Meteorites do have a RELATIVELY
LOW level of radiation when they arrive on Earth.  Their exposure to
cosmic rays while in space produces low levels of some radiocative
isotopes (for example, Al-26, Be-10, etc.).  By determining the amounts
of these isotopes in a meteorite, the terrestrial age (time since it
fell) and/or space exposure conditions (eg, size) can be determined.
However, the concentrations of these radioactive isotopes is very low.
george flynn

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit:

Follow-Ups: References: