No Subject

>Did you know that oxygen, ozone, and water would all
> be poisonous to Martian life? First, oxygen is a deadly poison, and it
> is doubtful Martian microrganisms have encountered it.
>
> Second, water is very plentiful. A little water is needed for life,
but
> too much? Drop a cactus in a lake, and you will see what happens to
> Martian life on most of Earth.
>
> Finally, the temperature is too high here. They couldn't survive. (If
> you believe otherwise, explain why Arctic algae spores are found
> everywhere yet the algae is extremely rare. Answer: it needs cold.)

> > Actually, the biologists propose a different remedy
> > than quarantine.

> > The biologists want to be real sure whether or not
> > those possibilities are indeed unfounded.

> Again, there is only one way to know. Robots won't >cut it without
> sending back samples.

I agree. Use robots to send back samples first.

> > I'm pretty sure they are not concerned about your evaluations of
their
> > sanity.

> But you might as well be, you are jumping at shadows and quoting
> biologists I have never heard of.

I'm sorry I don't have time tonight to go into this
in depth, but "ALH84001 and Me" will grace your
desktop shortly.

> We don't know even if there is life on Mars or not. >You and some
> microbiologists want us to close it off to exploration just because of
> the very unlikely chance of contamination of Earth.

No, they don't want to close Mars off, but they simply insist on that
an adequate assesment of the danger will have to be made before people
go.

Once again, do we really have sufficient evidence to assert that
contamination of the Earth is unlikely?

>That is like not
> breathing for fear of disease and not driving for fear of being
killed.
> The commute to work places you at far more risk than any Martion
> biology.

There is very little evidence to support any claim
as to risk.

> Fortunatly for everybody else, it is doubtful they can veto a
> Mars program without showing very conclusively that there is life on
> Mars and that it is an obvious hazard.

Other way around: They have absolute veto power over NASA now, and
will not allow NASA to proceed with any project which might endanger
us.

>Maybe these biologists should all
> about an HIV vaccine. Something more useful than fearing the unknown,
> when that unknown is as alien to Earth as sharks are on the Serengeti.

As to usefulness, once again, they differ with you in their assessment
of the risk.

As to fearing the unknown, they aren't afraid.

                                    Best wishes -
                                         Ed