Re: Contamination and hubris

> Speaking of logic, how does one determine that oxygen is poisonous to
> Martian life when one also doubts that Martian life never encountered it?

I doubt that present life on Mars can take oxygen, because of the
unfortunate effects O2 had on early terrestrial life-forms. If Mars life
has the same basic biochemistry of Earth life, it would seem likely like
oxygen is not a good thing.

> While the previous statement may be inaccurate, it is indisputable >that
> there are innumerable direct or indirect mechanisms by which a rogue, >newly
> introduced, microbe could potentially create havoc within our ecosystem.

Like Tetanus in the human body. But to wreck havoc on us, it must exist
in extremely high quantities. That means it has to outcompete the Earth
life in a hostile environment.

> Failing to take extreme precautionary measures is reckless.

That depends on how you define extreme. Extreme as in special treatment
of returned samples and EVA chem showers is okay. Extreme as in never
sending humans is paranoia. Like all good things, there are risks with
space colonization. I think that these risks are very manageable.

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: