Re: Fireball over Iceland

Hello Joel,

I just read your mail posted to the "meteorite-list" which I myself, as
a collector, encountered by chance only a few days ago. There seem to be
some very exciting and promising things going on in the northern
latitudes in between the European and American continents, and I am sure
we will hear more about this when the snow and ice will be more melted
down in the months to come.

Today I just returned from a two-day-visit to Berlin, where I was to
meet some friends, and once again I had the chance to visit the Natural
History Museum there, with the major German meteorite collection.
Delightful to see a special exhibition of crusted samples of the martian
meteorites Zagami (268 g), Nakhla (170 g), Shergotty (4 g fragment), and
Chassigny (13 g) just a few cm in front of me, behind a glass cover.
Especially delightful to "meet" the main mass of the IBBENBÜREN
diogenite, a German fall from 1870. This is a rounded stone, beautifully
jet black and almost fully crusted, about the size of a small child´s
head, with a segment cut off, and showing a beautiful, typical internal
texture. This was THE highlight of my visit since I just had the chance
to get a 2.5 g small thin crusted slice of this fall a few weeks ago.

Another German collector, Gero Klose of Emmendingen, just wrote me that
you will possibly be in Germany and France this year, to visit the
mineral show at Sainte-marie-Aux-Mines. I do not know whether I will
have the chance to attend this show, but maybe I have, though the
distance to that site is large (...for European standards at least, as
compared to yours...). I would be glad to meet you there. Have you made
special arrangements yet?

Best regards,
Alex

Alexander Seidel        N 53.5932 E 9.4683  6m asl
Stade/Germany           Fon/Fax   (+49) 4141 68772

Follow-Ups: References: