Unidentified subject!

Interesting question. In reality, every photograph is a picture of the
past, it is just when the time scale increases to the point where we become
interested, we then ask the big questions.

All astronomical pictures are of the past with their age as the time it
took light to reach the photographer. 0.9c is still sublight speed so
Einstein's calculations hold. As also is predicted, the relative time
"slowing" would come into play just as it does with all relative motion,
but the large proportion of relative slowing does make the question more
intriguing.

Although a MERLIN "photograph" may capture a moment of time in the past,
I'm not sure what to do with it unless a relative time can be deduced for
the image for comparison purposes.  I am also assuming that the 0.9c speed
is rather short lived. If this phenomenon is long-lived, you may be onto
something big since any information gleaned from the gas could represent
brand-new information from an so-far untapped source.

Just my thoughts too,

Martin