Re: Forwarded news article

In your message dated Tuesday 3, February 1998 you wrote :
> Frank,
> I heard on Wyoming Public radio that it was seen about 15 miles north of
> Hanna. You might ask locals at Med Bow and Hanna what they saw. Ideally
> you want to find reports of detonations so that you know you are close
> to the impact. Even with that knowledge, you are looking for a needle in
> a haystack.

I think you could find yourself barking up the wrong tree on this advice!

Detonations can occur at almost any point in a fireball's flight through the
atmosphere. Depending on where the observer is in relation to the fireball, the
sequence of noises can also be heard in the wrong order. And, just to complicate
matters further, sound tends to bounce around quite a bit.

Sound does not necessarily indicate that an impact has taken place and it can
throw out your assumed imapct site by hundreds of kilometres. Treat with
caution!

--
Phil Bagnall
http://www.ticetboo.demon.co.uk/