Re: 2nd ed., Rocks from Space

Bernd Pauli wrote:

> Joel Schiff schrieb:
>
> > >While on the subject, does anyone already have the 2nd edition, and
> > can
> > >they tell us if there's a whole lot different than the excellent 1st
> > >edition?  I know there's supposed to be a new section on thin
> > >sections...
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Joseph
> >
> > We hope to have a complete review of Rocks From Space II in our May
> > issue. A
> > copy is already in the air to us. Since I wrote the review of RFS I in
> > our
> > Feb '95 issue, I will also do this one as well and compare the two.
> > Yes,
> > there is a whole new section on thin sections among other things.
> >
> > Joel Schiff - Editor - METEORITE! magazine
>
>    A few words on excellence:
>
> (1) In the March 1995 Sky&Tel magazine (p.56) U.B. Marvin reviewed RFS
> I.
> Among other things she stated:
> ‘Written in a relaxed, anecdotal style that conveys a sense of
> excitement throughout,
> Rocks from Space is aimed at general readers, yet its clear, concise
> discussions of
> scientific topics will make it very useful to teachers and students in
> high school and
> undergraduate college...Norton introduces the reader to all the
> essential topics in
> meteoritics... meteorite compositions (complete with ternary
> diagrams)... This book
> successfully combines scientific information rarely found outside
> technical sources
> with amusing anecdotes and how-to directions rarely found in technical
> sources.
> I recommend it to all readers...'
>
> (2) In Meteoritics 29, 898-899 (1994) T.J. McCoy wrote about RFS I
> (excerpts):
> ‘...Part II (What is a Meteorite?) is disappointing..., it is overly
> simplistic and dated.
> For example, the chemical classification of irons is ignored in favor of
> the older
> structural classification, which is more useful to collectors*. This
> section misses
> the target of introducing meteorites... Is this book worth buying? ...
> While it does
> not fully meet its goal of introducing nonscientists to meteorites, it
> is a good read
> and can be recommended by meteoriticists to the interested public...’
> * pp. 216 + 225
>
> Now we all know that both U.B. Marvin and T.J. McCoy are renowned
> meteoriticists although their reviews express somewhat different views
> on the book.
>
> Lessons to be learned: Joseph will have to find out himself if he wants
> to buy the
> second edition. I, for my part, will for five reasons:
> a) I’ve always enjoyed browsing RFS I - so RFS II will be just as
> [...]

Hi Bernd....

Oh, I have no doubt I'll be purchasing RFS II!  Having had the distinct
pleasure of meeting O. Richard himself in the flesh (no forgetting his
incredibly infectious enthusiasm for meteoritics, or how his charisma
eclipsed Bob Haag's side by side!) and having read and reread passages
in RFS I, I'm just eager and desperate for more enjoyable reading from
an absolutely delightful professor!!

Sincerely,

Joseph