Re: Portales conspiracy revealed

Dear Michael Farmer and list.
I read your post and was reminded of the way I have been slapped around on
this list by people.
I want to say that I appreciate  all the individuals who go out and hunt
and collect the meteorites we love. I have walked the miles of desert for
thirty odd years. Killed my share of rattlesnakes and protected my self
from mountain lions, broken down and paid repair and towing bills. All for
little or no return in specimens.
What is being overlooked in some of the postings and yet being hit on
correctly by others is that the same market trends and behaviors we
treasure in the rest of our life are at work here as well. There is a
saying in the stock world, "Don't fight the tape.'' It does not matter so
much why a stock that for all good reasoning should be $10 is actually $20
if the tape says its $20 it is a $20 stock. And while it is $20 if you want
it then that's what you pay and you take the chance the price won't come
down.
Mike you have to sell for a profit, if that means with my limited budget I
have no Portales then fine, that specimen is missing from my collection.
But that is a result of my lack of affluence and has nothing to do with the
honest price set by an honest dealer. Can we try to remember something
else, we are not collecting and selling diamonds. There is real rarity here
not created scarcity. There will never be more than what falls for each
singular event. So we should expect to pay for what we feel we must have.
And if dealers are not rewarded with a livelihood then they will go and
become plumbers and welders and we will have no meteorites unless we
collect them ourselves. And most of the hunters I know and I know many are
a lot more successful at finding meteorites than I am. Why, because they
make their living at it. They spend the time and they make the investment.

Beware wide ravings ahead!! Stop reading Now!!

As I said at the beginning I don't make many posts anymore because there
are just too many people who think that they know what it's expected for
them to believe, and they don't want any conflicting info. If anyone
especially in Europe feels they need to lock their "caps lock" key  and
slap me around some more; they can go ahead. Oh by the way I have a "caps
lock'' also but I would never use it on someone, its rude.

Thanks for your time,
Jim Tobin