[Fwd: [Fwd: Fraternity/collaboration]]

Hello List,

Mark Lerner sent this to me  and to the list yesterday.  Apparently, it
never made it to the list.  It contains some interesting auction info.

-- BEGIN included message

I think this is a wonderful idea.  The entire auction process is being
manipulated anyway. For those who have inquired about the process, we have
found that:

1. the process changes daily
2. it is not even clear how much is actually for sale - despite the fact
the one must put in a bid for 100% or 25% of the "unknown" total
3. it may not all be sold anyway - that decision has not yet been made
4. certain 1 or 2 dealers seem more interested in the pr value of actually
purchasing the stone than a true economic decision would warrant
5. unlike portalis - this is not even an interesting specimin. Its value is
in the media hype already. I suggest everyone forget about it. Once there
is a "bad" deal for dealers, the prices will come down to earth again.

mark

At 08:36 AM 7/8/98 -0400, JJSwaim wrote:
> Hello Michael, Geoff and list,  What I see here is not any singular
>meteorite, but rare and beautiful opportunity to slam dunk the media by
>making a statement that their hype will not  The statement we can make,
>using Jim Hurley's idea posted on Sunday which I have attached, is far
>greater  It is imperative that we cooperate   while the world is watching
>through the media, whom we just happen to have at our disposal now.  Best
>regards,
>Julia Received: from mu.pair.com [209.68.1.23] by in7.ibm.net id
>899676245.70670-1 ; Sun, 05 Jul 1998 22:04:05 +0000 Received: (from
>slist@localhost) by mu.pair.com (8.9.0/8.6.12) id SAA24164; Sun, 5 Jul 1998
>18:12:23 -0400 (EDT) Resent-Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 18:12:23 -0400 (EDT)
>meteorite-list-request@meteoritecentral.com  I have a suggestion to
>demonstrate our collective power.  The Monahans auction will be starting
>soon (July 10).  Just don't bid.  Let me say that again - Please - DON'T
>BID.  One or two dealers may bid on this, but don't participate.  Let a
>dealer get the piece at a fair price and just buy our part slices from
>him/her.  It would be outstanding if the auction went with only a single
>low bid.  (I have to say sorry to those Monahans youths who may be out of a
>college education because of this. Unlike folks like Mike Farmer, they
>didn't have to work very hard to get this rock.)  Posted with certain
>hesitation,    Jim Hurley  PS:  Flame retardant suit has been applied -
>don't bother      sending me hate mail.  TO UN-SUBSCRIBE:  ----------------
>Send an email To:  meteorite-list-request@meteoritecentral.com  with
>UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject field of your  email. That's all there is to it!
>---------------- Thank You

Mark J. Lerner
MORGEN, EVAN & COMPANY, INC.
63 Wall Street