Re: Vatican Collection

I must have missed something here, David seems to be asking a question
not condemning anything. Also ask Galileo Galilei if it's an oxymoron to
be an astronomer and a Roman Catholic.

I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the Vatican because the Vatican
Observatory has done--and continues to do--a tremendous amount of
excellent work in the field of astronomy!  The little observatory is a
well-respected institution among astronomers; it has sent its scientists
worldwide to study the stars and planets.  Yes, several Catholic priests
and nuns are indeed astronomers (and maybe they're just a little bit
closer to the heavens than the rest of us?).  And no, the Vatican
doesn't explain meteorites as "miraculous stones" any more than a
Protestant, Hindu or agnostic astronomer would.  Finally, it is
certainly not an oxymoron to be an astronomer and a Roman
Catholic.--Louis Varricchio