Re: Meteorite hunter shot .

John,

This really happened ???

Such a story puts chills through my spine.

I was warned by a Forest Service Ranger when I was searching in New
Mexico to be on guard, as I could get shot searching BLM, and FS lands.
I asked him why, and he responded that there are people who grow "weed",
or "stash" their drug inventory out in the mountains, and they just do
not like people walking through "their territory".

He also said that some of these sites have been booby-trapped, so as to
cripple or kill any who are unlucky enough to stumble onto it.  Good
thing I have my metal (mine) detector head swinging in front of me!

I suppose there are some real creeps out there who would think of
nothing about killing a person over their drug business.

Fortunately for me I have never had the misfortune of coming across
these kinds of people, or their domains

Having lived heard of hunters and others having encounters, and with
the Forest Ranger's warning I for one have made it a practice to carry
a pistol when I hunt for meteorites.  Except if on private property,
and I have permission) I go armed.  I have never had misfortune of
having an incident that forced me to resort to my gun.  Though once
I had a black bear stalk me, and had it not backed off, I would have
used it in my defense.

Sounds like this story is a case of the meteorite hunter crossing the
paths of drug dealers who thought their domain was being invaded.

You never know who, or what you might come across in the wilderness,
so anyone who searches here in the Southwest should be armed, and
also know how to use whatever weapon they decide to carry.

Steve Schoner
Meteorite hunter in the "Wild, wild West"